Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Parakeet, help!

Thread: Parakeet, help!

Parakeet, help!

I came home and saw this thing in the bushes, thought it was a toy. It was a parakeet! It is windy and freezing, so I was able to grab it and bring it inside. I have it in a container right now to warm up and calm down. It's really warm in our room with all the heaters for our snakes.

It's beak is totally broken, like someone clipped it with nail clippers, almost all the way up to its nostrils. It was bleeding but not anymore. You can see its tongue. :(

I'm not a bird person, never had one. Was thinking I could make a mash with some turkey food I have and feed it that with a syringe. There's no way it can eat on it's own.

Help me bird people.
    *Fear is ignorance*
    *Do the best you can in life. Live with compassion and infinite love for others.*

Re: Parakeet, help!

I think it needs to be put down. It definitely needs to go to a vet ASAP. It sounds like the bird is probably in a lot of pain considering how severe the break is... and the fact it's been like that for who knows how long may mean it will never regrow. It may survive with a diet of soft food but I don't know.....

That's really crappy someone would do that.

We caught a "wild" parakeet once, too, but it wasn't injured.

:(

We've been trying to keep it comfortable. I'd like to take it to a vet but can't afford it. We'd like to care for it and keep it if we can. I tried feeding it a soupy mash, but I think it's beak hurts too much.

I'll keep you updated.
    *Fear is ignorance*
    *Do the best you can in life. Live with compassion and infinite love for others.*

Well, if you take it to a vet or even call animal control (the Humane Society) and say you found this animal they'll put it down w/out you paying for it. It really has to be in a lot of pain.

It made it through the night. After the bleeding stopped and it cleaned up a little, the beak damage isn't as severe as I thought. Still has a usable beak I believe, it's already trying to eat this morning. Is hopping around and looking very bright and alert. Thanks for the link bell, it was very helpful.

Thanks friends.
    *Fear is ignorance*

Yea! That's good the damage isn't as severe as you originally thought. Hopefully it can re-grow it like normal, then. Can you post any pictures of it?

Is doing well. We're getting a birdcage really soon. It has been eating and is perching. It couldn't perch at first because it's claws were curled and long into it's feet. It's doing so much better. As u can see the beak damage is not as severe as we thought, cause when i first found it, it was bleeding and the blood was all over, so it was difficult to see it. Got some parakeet food and it is eating, so I think it'll be just fine
    *Fear is ignorance*

Oh yeah, it looks pretty good. I think the beak tip should prolly grow back okay...... sounds like blood flow is going to that area alright.

Does it have any banding on it? Like a leg cuff or anything?

It looks like it hasn't been missing a home for a while... that's a nice, plump, little birdie you got there, haha.

Nah no leg cuff.

It's pretty thin actually, it is just all squatted and poofy in the pic lol.

It's nails were like curly fries, couldn't stand right. Once we trimmed them, it's been on the perch we made.

It's been chirping and playing.

We named it Katana.
    *Fear is ignorance*

:(

It died this afternoon. I think it may have lost too much blood or something. It was doing great, was perching and eating, drinking, and playing with its bells. My husband said once I went to work it started having muscle spasms and it was dead when I got home 10 minutes ago. :(

It sucks. I really liked the little bird. I've never had a bird. Maybe one day we'll be able to get another one on better terms.

:cry:
    *Fear is ignorance*

What a bummer! I guess since it was flying out in the wind it very well could have gotten injured then, maybe internal injuries being bashed into a building or something. Prolly how it chipped its beak, too. Ah well, at least you did the best you could for it. It died in a nice, warm, loving home instead of being hit by a car or something.