Thread: Tokay Barks

Tokay Barks

So I finally heard the "Tokay! Tokay!" bark today. I'm wondering, though, if anyone knows if there is a difference between "searching for a mate" barks and "you're invading my space, I hate you" barks?

Maybe if there is at the next meeting you could imitate it for me? Haha, j/k....

Re: Tokay Barks

I think their barks are similar as to meaning. You got a male! Lucky.
    *Fear is ignorance*
    *Do the best you can in life. Live with compassion and infinite love for others.*

Well, see that's why I'm asking. I have that pair of tokays and I sometimes hear two very distinctly different barks. One is the VERY loud "tokay mating call"... the "croooooooak toKAY toKAY toKAY toKAY." And one is a quiet "meh meh meh" noise. I'm wondering if they're both just coming from the male or if the "meh" one is coming from the female? I've read female tokays don't generally bark but will if threatened. The male is significantly bigger than she is. I don't want them fighting and will separate them if I have to... at least until they get all grown up, haha.

I don't want her to be stressed out . And she's still got a full length tail so I don't want them to fight and her to lose it running away from him.

They were hanging out together in the same hide for a while but I've noticed the past two weeks that while they still hang out a little bit most of the time the female is on the other side of the cage in a different hide now. ...and it's only been w/in the past two weeks that either Eric or myself have heard the loud mating call.

i'd just keep and eye out to see if theres any damage on the female the noise could be coming from the male i have a male adult tokay myself and he makes the meh meh meh noise as well ash the tokay noises so it could just be him

I have two tokays, pretty sure they are male and female, and although the male never barks he's the only one that ever makes any kind of noise when I'm invading their space by cleaning.
    *Fear is ignorance*
    *Do the best you can in life. Live with compassion and infinite love for others.*

man you should've seen the scratches i got from mine from cleaning his tank 3 days again this isn't even bites and it looked like some one went at me with a steak knife i think i'll remove him from his tank for cleanings from now on

My mom has these elbow length leather gloves for gardening she lent me for handling my tokays and they work like a charm. I need to find some more though.
    *Fear is ignorance*

i use gloves and this was through the gloves and mine are leather work gloves

Hmm, I've never really had to handle any of the tokays I've had. The only reason the one I have now bit me a while back was because I wanted to re-do his enclosure. I thought removing him would be less stressful for him than constantly scooting him around his enclosure as I re-arranged. He has plenty of hiding places that when I clean his enclosure I never even see him.

But, yeah, after the female passed on I never hear my male barking anymore... which is prolly better for me since he's in my bedroom closet, now, and not the living room.

why do you keep him in the closet? sorry to hear about your loss i handle my boy fairly regularly they can be tamed and as adults they arent as nippy but like any reptile they have their moods i actually taught him to take food out of my hand

I keep all of my animals in my closet. It's the size of a small room. I got my tokay as a rescue from another club member. He was pretty sick at the time, unable to climb, wasn't eating well.... he's all better now but because of his condition when I got him, and how grown he was to begin with, I never handle him.

I would say if you're worried about your tokay biting you, have to use gloves with him and it looks like "someone went at you w/ a steak knife" because he's clawed you (through the gloves), you should prolly leave him be.

yeah my guy was in pretty bad shape when i got him but he's healthier now and he's gotten big he's one of the largest tokays i've seen in a while he's getting pretty tame too he let me handle him today without gloves no problem just a couple barks i'm sure hand feeding him the roaches didn't hurt either lol and he has his moods just like anything else and when i took him out to clean his tank he was just super grumpy cause some of his roaches get away behind his styrophome rock wall i have to take him out when i clean his terrarium