Thread: Really lame question...

Arrow Really lame question...

OK, I am new to the whole crested thing. Basic care Ive got down. Repashy food, got it. Tiny crickets for a snack for the tiny geckos, check. The thing I am wondering about it dumb, but I cant find the info anywhere. So I figured, fool or not, I would just go ahead and ask here.
    When I mix the complete diet now, I am just mixing it as I go and it is a pain. Can I mix extra and have a weeks worth? (Does it need to be refrigerated?) Or are you supposed to mix a tiny amount daily to feed to them, and always get it fresh? I know its a really lame question, but any advise would be helpful. Thanks.
    If you want to live and thrive, let the spider run alive ~ American Quaker saying

Re: Really lame question...

Have you checked out cilliatus.com? aka ACReptiles. I haven't kept any yet but been doing a lot of research. Thinking about getting in to them, maybe this spring. There's a lot of info on that site. The author leaves the mixed food in for maybe 3 days as the geckos eat spoiled fruit in the wild. But I would think the packaged stuff might even ferment looking at the ingrediants. Maybe why its packaged dry. Good luck!
    Rick

I would think that you should just mix it as you need it. It'll keep better that way. Sometimes when you freeze food it breaks down nutrients and whatnot, so it's not as good anymore. I would mix them up some food, see about how much they are eating and then take away what they don't eat. You don't want funky bacteria or anything going on in there.

Here's a video I found that should help:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF9gwot_Bho

Also, if it's really time consuming to measure out and all, maybe try taking some time to just measure out what u need for the week, and put individual pre-measured portions into a baby formula divider, or one of those pill containers.

Just remember to keep it refrigerated because it'll last longer.

Hope this helps. Crested geckos sure are cute

And questions aren't lame, u are learning, we all started out somewhere.
    *Fear is ignorance*
    *Do the best you can in life. Live with compassion and infinite love for others.*

Quote Originally Posted by Erwynn
    I would think that you should just mix it as you need it. It'll keep better that way. Sometimes when you freeze food it breaks down nutrients and whatnot, so it's not as good anymore. I would mix them up some food, see about how much they are eating and then take away what they don't eat. You don't want funky bacteria or anything going on in there.

Here's a video I found that should help:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF9gwot_Bho

Also, if it's really time consuming to measure out and all, maybe try taking some time to just measure out what u need for the week, and put individual pre-measured portions into a baby formula divider, or one of those pill containers.

Just remember to keep it refrigerated because it'll last longer.

Hope this helps. Crested geckos sure are cute

And questions aren't lame, u are learning, we all started out somewhere.
    They are cute. I love em!
    Yeah, tiny little bits that they will eat in 2 days is not much. I was hoping I could use something like talkenlate04 does, with the squeeze bottle, and refrigerate it so that I can mix a more decently sized amount.
    If you want to live and thrive, let the spider run alive ~ American Quaker saying