Thread: A wikitized project (for arachnids)

A wikitized project (for arachnids)

I have been mulling over whether to post this or not, since I am new on this forum and such, but for a long time now I have been on-and-off working on a wiki to eventually knock out as many myths, misinformation, and such about tarantulas, scorpions, and really anything in the hobby that happens to be an arachnid.

However, I sort of abandoned this because of other issues, time, etc, and general blah. If there is any interest at all in it, I could whip through some updates, a redesign, and stuff. I'd probably junk the forum, but the basic idea at the time was making caresheets and information easy to find so that more people could get the right information about tarantula, scorpions, and what-have-you rather than hunting, getting frustrated, and putting ole 'Rosie' in a sand filled deathbox.

Anyways, opinions, etc, I don't care. If it is frowned upon to speak of other projects, just let me know and I will remove any (the link to the work I actually got done) offending materials and such.

Re: A wikitized project (for arachnids)

It has been done for both tarantulas and scorpions that I know of. I can't remember the tarantula pages but I had a major hand in the scorpopedia. The scorpopedia will be back soon...once we get things sorted out.
    What can be done is not what should be done but you have the right to your opinion...note that you do not have the right to not be offended and are therefore subject to another's opinion that you can be put in a 5'x9' cell and do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin
    It has been done for both tarantulas
    It was done for tarantulas? I'm not aware of that. It's unfortunate you can't remember the link... I'd like to see it. :(

Anyway, the main issue I would have with the wiki as you're proposing it is the caresheets. Caresheets just do not work in a wiki type setting. If you have five people you'll have five different ways for keeping a tarantula and none of those ways will be 100% "right" or we'd all be keeping our bugs that way, you know? That would mean there would be constant editing done to that information... maybe even editing wars.

I know when I was starting in the hobby it didn't take much hunting at all to find how to keep my bugs. Most of us get our start somewhere on the internet... for me it arachnoboards.com.... of course they're currently down for who knows how long.

I'd plan to include differing opinions so the reader can choose, however the basics are the basics (water dish an etcetera). I'd also like to have included behavioral information since, well, an OBT is likely to have a different average behavior than a rosea, or a pulchra. I was hoping to make it an all inclusive project, even with the differences, and just generally have as much info as possible on each and every spider and scorpion (and friends) that there can be.

Well, I guess that's the thing... there aren't really "basics" in tarantula care (except they need some sort of enclosure they can't get out of). From your example, I know many keepers who don't have water dishes in with their tarantulas. I think what you may end up with is an overabundance of care information that will likely confuse people.

I'll go through old notes for ya Bell.

Please don't include scorpions in your little project - all the care sheets out there are total crap and all the idiots that post on wikis are idiots - we made Scorpopedia a closed wiki because we were sick of people coming in and posting information that contradicted fact. The problem with care direction is that scorpions and tarantulas can survive under many captive conditions but just because they can does no mean that it is okay.
    What can be done is not what should be done but you have the right to your opinion...note that you do not have the right to not be offended and are therefore subject to another's opinion that you can be put in a 5'x9' cell and do just fine.