Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Evil Leopards?

Thread: Evil Leopards?

Evil Leopards?

I just got a new 'lavender murphys' leopard gecko. Get her about 2 weeks ago and... she is, in a word, evil.
    Not friendly at all.
    She is an adult, gave the guy I got her from 10 eggs last year. She loves to be tong fed but if you put your hand in the tank, even to just let it sit and let her get used to you, she will vary responses from lifting her leg and defecating on you, to biting, to swinging her tail at you like a club. Am I doing something wrong? Are they always attitudinal? Should I just give the beast more time?
    The guy I got her from said she was his sweetest one, but man, if this is the sweet version, Id hate to see the mean ones.
    If you want to live and thrive, let the spider run alive ~ American Quaker saying

Re: Evil Leopards?

I know nothing about geckos but if I saw a gecko lift it's leg and defaecate on anyone...I'd die laughing!
    What can be done is not what should be done but you have the right to your opinion...note that you do not have the right to not be offended and are therefore subject to another's opinion that you can be put in a 5'x9' cell and do just fine.

I've never seen a mean leo! Is her behavior otherwise normal? Eating, drinking, defecating (and not on your hand ), etc... Does she hide during the day and come out at night?

My leo will bite at me but only because she thinks I'm food. I guess that's a problem with hand feeding a gecko. Eventually they'll come to see your fingers as mealworms. I don't do that anymore. I don't even tong feed her anymore. She eats fine regularly and I was just hand feeding her because it's cute. I can't do that with my tarantulas... well, I wouldn't WANT to do that, lol.

She doesn't like to be held at all. She's very squirmy. But when I pick her up she doesn't bite or even bark at me. She just squirms. My last leo, though, had no problem being picked up and would sit on my leg while I worked at the computer.

The way I think it works with reptiles is they have to be conditioned from when they're a baby to being picked up and handled. If not it's hard to get them to accept that at later stages in their lives. If she was always sweet to her previous owner I would say she's prolly still stressed out from her move. Stressed out geckos aren't happy geckos.

...or maybe she's always been evil and the guy you got her from lied to get rid of her. Hopefully it's not that. haha.

Seriously! She turns her back to you, lifts her leg, and squirts $#*! at you! Its totally hilarious.
    She eats great, is a total pig, actually. I dont know if she was not adequately fed, or if she is just a cow, but she would, if I continued to feed her, eat well over a dozen large crickets a day. Ive yet to see her drink, but the dish is there. She hides during the day, and comes out after the sun goes down. She will catch her own food, I only found out she was able to be tong fed because I dug a cricket out of her wet hide, and she snatched it (and of course I kept doing it because it was cute), but havent since that day.
    I am with the latter opinion. I think she is just evil. She will poke her little nose out of her hide and glare at you if she knows you are in the room. When I go to maintenance my cresties, she wags her little tail and lunges at the glass.
    Im thinking, altho she is a pretty girl, that maybe she is just not right in the head, and thats why he let her go.
    Sigh, me and my defunct pets...
    If you want to live and thrive, let the spider run alive ~ American Quaker saying

My leo has lunged at the glass, too, of course I think she thought my hair dangling or something was food. I don't think they have the best eye sight, well, at least during day light. I think their eyes are like cat eyes in that they can see better in dim light/at night.

Anyway, yeah, her behavior pretty much sounds normal... sounds like you may just have a wacky leo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bell
    My leo has lunged at the glass, too, of course I think she thought my hair dangling or something was food. I don't think they have the best eye sight, well, at least during day light. I think their eyes are like cat eyes in that they can see better in dim light/at night.

Anyway, yeah, her behavior pretty much sounds normal... sounds like you may just have a wacky leo.
    Lucky me!

Have you named her, yet? She needs a "fitting" name. hehe.

No, I cant seem to find one that is fitting for her yet. Any suggestions are welcome.

Here is a pic of the evil wench, if anyone wanted to see her (and no, thats not my arm, its the guy i bought this 'sweetheart' from).

I've seen some mean ones. I had one that used to make a hissing noise when he (not sure of the gender, it was young and I never checked) saw me coming. I might be getting like 4 this week. I hope it happens.

my hypo tangerines did that when i first got them it seems relatively common each one has their own quirks if you handle her even if you get bit ect for a while she might turn into a sweetie thats what i had to do with my leucistic or at least i think he's a leucistic or a murphy's albino

My male Amun-Ra has started getting bitey and when I picked him up he actually pooped all over me!? Srsly gecko? Rlly?!
    *Fear is ignorance*
    *Do the best you can in life. Live with compassion and infinite love for others.*