Thread: Petco selling keelbacks.......Xenochrophis vittatus

Unhappy Petco selling keelbacks.......Xenochrophis vittatus

Hello all! Came across two of these guys, Striped Keelbacks (Xenochrophis vittatus), at a Petco about a year ago. They were being sold as garter snakes of all things. I've yet to establish if they are really rear fang venomous as an old friend suggested. Does anyone know if they are indeed venomous, even if only rear fanged and very mild? I've been tagged by a Gila before, so it's more out of curiousity than concern. Note the belly Thanks guys,

Jesse

[attachment=1:1s3vofkq]Keelback Belly Small.JPG[/attachment:1s3vofkq]

[attachment=0:1s3vofkq]Keelback Top small.JPG[/attachment:1s3vofkq]

Re: Petco selling keelbacks.......Xenochrophis vittatus

Ah, good ole Tim. I tried and tried to make it down to AZ to meet up w/ him this summer to do a field trip but that just didn't happen. About your snakes, I think Tim is correct. As far as I see they are rear-fanged and only mildly venomous.

Haha, how did you get tagged by a gila? Do you have a "bite report" about it out there somewhere? ...was it one of Tim's gilas?

Yeah, it was one of Tim's. Him and Mary went south for a week and left me in charge of the collection. The first feeding went no problem, but the second one sucked terribly. Went to grab his big male out of the bathtub (Tim's idea of a feeding container) and he spun in my hand and latched my right thumb. Never did any sort of bite report, just dealt with the golf ball size knuckle and and eventual drainage. Even went to work about two hours later. Was no fun, worst bite I've had.

Dang, do not envy that, man! At least you've gotten one of the worst ones out of the way, haha... Not much to fear after that other than, like, animals with necrotoxins. I personally think having a chunk of flesh go missing would be the worst thing to happen from a bite.

Pretty snakes, though, btw... Sometimes you can find some cool stuff at PetCo. From what I just read online, though, it sounds like these snakes are common at PetCo but usually die pretty quickly. Sounds like you've got some healthy/hearty snakes to have had them for a year.

One is fairly small but fends off the other, much fatter one. The big one will tackle around 30 minnows to 20 small goldfish a week. Sheds like a champ. I did however lose one in the begining, so you're sources are on to something.

As for toxins, my striata scares me. I've never been tagged by any spider, ever, and I plan to keep it that way. I have how ever been hit by a few scorpions. I had some of Tim's barks and got railed by a "3rd instar" (I can't remember the term for sizing, just something to that effect. Had molted 3 times). That sucked almost as bad as the gila. I still remeber that when he got drunk he liked to play with his jacksoni until he got nailed one night. Something about Tim's animals.........