Thread: Oh, rats!

Oh, rats!

My boyfriend is intent on getting a rat (he wants albino but they creep me out so I'm leaning towards hooded). I had one years ago that was given to me but it developed cancer. I guess that's common in rats that have been inbred/mass produced for pet stores.

I guess my question is... where can I get a good quality rat (one that will prolly not develop cancer, unless that's just what rats may do)? Anyone have any advice? (Andrew, I'm looking at you, hehe) Are rats from, like, PetCo or Petsmart "bad." Does anyone know any local breeders?

Re: Oh, rats!

I absolutly trust the breeder my petsmart gets their rats from. They are always beautiful and very well tempered along with appearing to be very well bred.

Two breeders in Colorado that I know of are:
    http://www.ColoradoRattery.com/ Which looks extremely reputable.
    http://mjmcaviaryrabbitry.com/ Which looks decent as well.

I'm ignorant when it comes to where/how chain pet stores get animals. Is your Petsmart breeder only for your Petsmart or do they provide rats to other CO stores?

How is Jack doing, btw? Last you told me he had pulled through his sickness.

The breeder supplies a lot of stores around Colorado including Petco (I believe...).

Jack... Started to pull through. I closed at work one night and when I got home he was already cold. It was super sad. I got 3 rats after that but eventually I couldn't do it anymore and gave them all away. I actually just sold the cage today. It actually went to a person who just got rats so I'm glad it will get used like that again.

Aw, man, I'm sorry to hear that. :( What a bummer.

Looking at rats online I've fallen in love with the "dumbo" rats. They look so adorable.

Rats from petstores are more prone to cancers and other health issues just from the mass breeding and inbreeding.

Those breeders listed earlier are great breeders. Also try the rmca.org for some references. Most ratteries pay attention to breeding and have great ratties.

Good luck Enjoy the new fuzzy baby.
    *Fear is ignorance*
    *Do the best you can in life. Live with compassion and infinite love for others.*