Thread: Scales n Tails (Denver and Colorado Springs Locations)

Scales n Tails (Denver and Colorado Springs Locations)

Scales N Tails (west store or north store, south one is shittiest IMO.) - Positive

I guess this is probably common sense but, http://scalesntails.com/.

Scales N Tails is the only semi-chain pet store in colorado I will deal with.

Good looking animals, knowledgeable staff for the most part,( theres always an idiot SOMEWHERE ) clean feeders, decent selection of animals. They are more of a reptile store, but when they do get arachnids they do look good.

A+ (http://scalesntails.com/)

Re: Scales n Tails

I'm going to have to agree that the south Scales n Tails store is pretty shitty...well, at least customer service wise. I have 102 tarantulas I want to sell so two weeks ago I contacted Scott at the south store. I told him it's a huge list and asked him if I could email it to him. He said he'd like that the best and he'd get back to me that day. No call that day so I called him the next and he said it takes "3-4 days for authorization"... I hear nothing... hear nothing... well last Tuesday I was going up to Denver for our club meeting so I emailed Scott on that Monday saying if he was interested in anything I had I could bring it with me the next day so he could see it. No response. Still no phone call.

I'm just going to bring my bugs w/ me to the next RMRE show and hope I have better luck there than w/ Scales n Tails.

I've said this in a few forums to Coloradoans...I don't like to name drop shops that I don't go to unless I absolutely need to....but my sentiment follows the general consensus about s&t
    What can be done is not what should be done but you have the right to your opinion...note that you do not have the right to not be offended and are therefore subject to another's opinion that you can be put in a 5'x9' cell and do just fine.

++ POSITIVE ++

I like Scales n tails for the most part. The staff is friendly once they warm up to ya A lot of the teens are akward and shy.

Their animals are healthy, fed, and watered. The store is clean, the feeders are clean and healthy. They go the extra mile when I have problems or concerns with animals/products. Their prices are a tad more than say a retail chain, but I'd rather support a small business personally.

I like how they have invertebrates and actually know what they are, and they are knowledgeable and for the most part know what they're talking about. The T containers could be a bit cleaner. I'd like to see some of the larger Ts in some small kritter keepers other than in those deli cups.

I wish the animals were a little less sometimes, some of them are really, really expensive. Some of the snakes are 400 dollars. And I really love the caimans, but I'll have to save up a while

Other than the high animal prices and small T containers, those are my only peeves.

I like scales n tails, and I plan on supporting them for as long as we're here.
    *Fear is ignorance*
    *Do the best you can in life. Live with compassion and infinite love for others.*

Re: Scales n Tails (Colorado Springs)

Scales N' Tails is the only place I go for my crickets. I would say they are more knowlegeble on reptiles than tarantulas, but I think the tarantula owner is ultimatly responsible for educating themselves. Once the staff knows you, they are great. They're T's are usually a little pricey compaired to online, but if you add in online shipping costs it works out to about the same. And at least the employees are present and willing to help, unlike most big box stores. I've also had several mysterious deaths of pets after feeding big box store crickets. S&T means well, but KNOW YOUR TARANTULAS!!! Being well informed yourself is the best guarentee of getting what you want.

i'm sorry but i have to disagree with the good reviews on S&T i was supposed to meet with a breeder to get a reverse okeetee corn baby and they were a no show so we went to petsmart to look and got my amel baby (i swear that snake is healthy best eater really tame ect) then my mom had never been to S&T so i was like why not lets go there too so we went in and they had the reverse okeetee babies i bought one it was such a picky eater (i don't blame them for it being picky some snakes are just like that) they trained all their baby corns to only eat in brown paper bags and when i got my corn home every thing was fine for the first few days (they only have a 48 replacement garuntee on snakes) so about 4 days later was feeding day he wouldn't eat so a few days after that we finally got him to eat and three days after he ate we found him in the tank dead it's funny that my petsmart one is still to this day perfectly healthy and happy snake but the other one died living in the same conditions so it most certainly wasn't my care.

I cried over the loss of squirmy and my dad took him into S&T the next day they would only give us in trade half of what we paid wouldn't give us store credit and told my dad if he didn't use their offer of trade then that was the end of it so my dad put another 30 dollars up for a baby corn they didn't have any reverse okeetees which is the only reason i bought from them in the first place all they had was hypo okeetees which look almost nothing like a reverse and arent really worth as much so we ended up spending about 75 dollars for a 25 dollar snake and now it looks like wiggles the new hypo is starting to have the same problems and thats only the tip of the iceberg. we had about 6 aqautic turtles for an indoor pond and the manager found out we were trying to rehome them through casual conversation and he said he had a turtle pond that he'd take them all for free and keep them as pets so my dad drops them off and he lied to us now they're all in the turtle tank they have at the store for sale i never would've given them to him had i known that was his plan .

**NEGATIVE**

Although I'm leaving up my old post for reference, I am going to revoke my previous review of SnT of colorado springs.

These guys are jerks and sleazes. They rip everyone off and just seem like crooks.

We have been going to SnT for a long time now, and every time I go in I get more upset.

Their animals are in horrible condition, they keep everything barely alive, and then when people come in about their animals dying..well it's tough sh*t for you because they don't care. They don't even give me eye contact when I complain about the 3rd savanna monitor baby that died in a row.

They sold a bunch of baby turtles a couple months ago that were barely 1 inch long, very very illegal. They can deny it all they want, but I saw it, they even offered us one, but I refused to take it. (FYI it is illegal to sell/buy turtles under 4 inches)

They don't follow regulations, their place is dirty, the animals are emaciated, dehydrated, and have a very poor quality of life. Every time I go over there it's worse than before, because they just don't care anymore. The main guy has his head stuck on his computer screen all the time updating his facebook and working on his lame websites. They make the animals bite them and film it for entertainment.

Ok, I don't know who'll believe me on this one..but I saw this happen... They feed their sick animals to their other animals. They also take in rescues from people and feed those animals to their other animals! This is morally and ethically unforgivable. Someone goes to them for help for their animal and they turn around and throw it in as a snack for some other creature, to film it and laugh at it. Despicable.

I'm not sore because they told me I'd look better with makeup on, or because they are rude to me. I can get over that immature mentality they have. It's just that I've had my blinders on and never really noticed anything until my 4 year old mentioned that the animals looked sick and sad.

Once I started mentioning the sick animals, and some dead ones I'd find, to the manager, it was then they started treating me like crap. The last time I was there they gave me two mice and charged me for two rats, and said "well that's what you get and it's fine."

I will never shop or support them ever again. I tell everyone I know to avoid and boycott them.

Please do not support these people or their company!

I would rather support a corporation now. I buy my crickets at petco/petsmart now and my feeders from people here in town who have overflow feeders.
    *Fear is ignorance*
    *Do the best you can in life. Live with compassion and infinite love for others.*

--Nuetral--

i had had some really bad experences with S&T but i went back to the store located in englewood after the shop i was getting feeders from closed and they had gotten a new manager and some new staff...they new manegment is excellent, they know more then the other guys, and they really seem to care about the animals in the store... i cant say im completly happy with everything they do but im stuck with them for now and im not too upset about it.

Re: Scales n Tails (Denver and Colorado Springs Locations)

---Negative---

They are really over priced and only care about the dollar, since going there I breed my own feeders just so I don't have to step foot in their doors. Their animals aren't given the best of care, better then that dump in Fountain but not by much sad really:( I stopped going there because every time I gave them another chance I left the store because of one thing or another, last time it was because of their big albino burm that they have no idea how to care for dumba$$es!!! Never going there again rest assured of that one!!!

-- Neutral --

We do a lot of shopping and browsing at S&T in our free time. We purchase a lot of crickets and feeders from the West store since its closest to us and have never had a problem. I have also been to the north store but have nothing good to say about that one. I believe the owner of all the S&T works at the north store, so its very regulated compared to the west store I usually visit.

The staff at the west store is very friendly and we get a long with them rather well, they give us discounts on our feeders and crickets all the time, and offered us an unbeatable deal on our female Albino Red Tail we just bought from them a couple weeks ago. All their animals seem to be well kept every time we go in there and they aren't crowded or overstocked ever.

As for the north store I have yet to enjoy a visit there. Its always understaffed, busy, and hard to get in and out of cause the way its set up. Its a small building with the cash register right at the front door, so if anyone is purchasing or standing in line you have to squeeze around them to get in or out of the store. Also we have noticed the tarantulas are priced a lot higher at that store than the west one, and they aren't willing to lower the prices like the west store will sometimes.

Overall I would only recommend the west store if you want to visit S&T for anything. Or talk to us and we can get what you want from them
    [color=#006000][b]--ExotiPet--
    BUY - SELL - TRADE
    Visit Our YouTube -- Visit Our Facebook -- SEE OUR REVIEWS

I agree totally with exotipet the customer service is awesome at the west store and once I established myself as a regular customer I also have been given discounts on things and told it was because of loyalty to the store. Every time I have gone in there I have been greeted kindly and had every question I had answered. Andrew is the manager there and he is really friendly and helpful I can not say enough good things about hi. The rest of the crew there is exceptional.

Sadly the West store is going through some changes and I don't expect that I will be going there much longer. Matter of fact I do not see that store being very successful in the next few months. Keep on eye on the change of ownership there I am going to say that ownership there will probably change at least twice in the next 6 months.

I frequent S+T pretty often. I'm really not sure of all the bad press about them, however I have recieved nothing but great customer service and friendship from the employees. They keep their story very clean in comparison to many stores, carry a wide selection of animals you can't get anywhere else, and have always treated me with great respect. I've never had a problem with anything at the store, and 2 of my monitors are from them. A+ guys in my opinion.