Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Favorite Feeder Roach

View Poll Results: Which feeder roach do you use?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • B dubia

2 66.67%
  • B lat

0 0%
  • N cinerea

1 33.33%
  • B boliv

0 0%
  • B gigant

0 0%
  • E protiscus

0 0%
  • B dicoidalis

0 0%
  • G portentosa

0 0%
  • Other Roach

0 0%
  • Don't use roaches

0 0%

Thread: Favorite Feeder Roach

Favorite Feeder Roach

Okay I'm bored and need people to post in the roach section. Tell me what feeder you use and why.

I usually feed crickets these days as I have a nice viv setup full of roaches. I plan to dismantle it though and feed off everything but the hissers. My personal favorite for feeder roaches is B dubia. I just think they breed fast enough, require very little care, and grow huge so I can even feed my giants them.

Re: Favorite Feeder Roach

When I had feeder roaches it was the B dubia. I like that they give live birth, reproduce quickly, don't smell (like crix do), can't really climb or fly... and for people who don't like roaches simply because of how they look dubias are a litte less "roach-like" than, like, lobsters (other than male dubias, of course)... which leads me to another plus that the males have wings and the females don't so you can easily tell them apart. Female dubia:

But I feed crickets, now, mainly (I still have quite a few B dubia nymphs I've been working my way through). Having that colony of roaches was like having another pet and a pet that needed a lot more care than my tarantulas do. I know nothing can kill a roach outside of being eaten or stepped (and sometimes not even then) but they do require fresh water, fruit/veggies, protein, etc... and if you leave that stuff in their enclosure too long it smells or gets moldy. The point of having roaches to feed your animals is to have a healthier alternative to crickets. Well, if you're not keeping your roaches clean, well-fed and well-watered are you really feeding something healthier to your pets?

And then there's all the frass they produce that you have to clean out regularly. Yeesh.

I'd like to have a colony again when I have the time and the place for one again. Not having to pay $.10 per cricket was nice.

I voted N. cinerea, but I also have G. portentosa, B. dubia, B. discoidalis(spelling), B. fusca, E. prosticus and a few Blaberus hybrids. I like the small size of N. cinerea for the sling's.

I used to use N cinerea but they became such a hassle. I'm not fond of anything that climbs glass.