Thread: Moab Scorp Hunting: Successful!

Moab Scorp Hunting: Successful!

Got to Moab Wed night... went out and did some hunting and was surprised at how easy it was to find specimens. Thurs we hiked to a few of the arches in Arches National Park and then resumed hunting at night. All in all we found well over 30 scorps, and at least two, possibly three, different species. The weather was GORGEOUS the entire time. Not a cloud in the sky... of course it was mid-90's and it's a desert... so it's good we brought a lot of water. haha... Oh, and the Milky Way at night in the desert.... simply breathtaking. Of course I like stars, as anyone familiar with my tattoos will prolly know.

I broke the original picture links so check out the club's official Flickr for the album of this event.

First off, landscape pics...

Entrance to Arches

Landscape Arch... the hike here was pretty easy. And it's a very cool arch.[/b]

The entrance to the hike. Brian, Austin and myself are pictured.

The Landscape Arch.

Delicate Arch... lemme tell you... oh man, I am so glad I did that hike but I'll prolly never want to do it again. My knees felt like they were going to break (I have knee problems from ice skating. They grind and crunch more than should be possible).

This is the view up the "slickrock"... this is where I about gave up. Brian, Austin and myself are pictured.

This is the view down from the "slickrock." The arrow is pointing to the parking lot where we began. This is halfway through the hike.

The last portion of the hike is a ledge. No joke. 200 yards of walking a ledge that is 150 ft off the ground. Have I mentioned I'm terrified of falling? hahaha...

And, finally, we have it... the Delicate Arch. So worth it. So spectacular.

Us at the base:

And while I'm terrified of falling, Brian and Austin are scaling rock faces like...... mountain goats. haha!

I'll have MANY, MANY more pics up at my Photobucket, soon, and will link that here when I'm done. There's just too many landscape/people photos to post.

Also, Brian, there's a ton more pics of you and Austin climbing around. They'll eventually be at the Photobucket, too... lemme know if you want them in a bigger size once you see them.

And up next............. the good stuff, our buggy finds!

Re: Moab Scorp Hunting: Successful!

Now the scorps... we found MANY specimens of a species of Vaejovis, what we believe to be a species of Paruroctonus and two Hadrurus spadix. Oh yeah. And we didn't even look hard, either. Brian saw the first Vaejovis and Hadrurus within 30 seconds of stepping out of the car.

A tiny lil guy:

Vaejovis:

Spadix #1:
    (you can use my hand as a size reference to how big this guy is)

Spadix #2 (a little dirty):

And... an Argiope.

We also saw praying mantids, large moths, fruit bats, etc... Lots of life out in that thar desert, mhmm.

A little video to come......

That is awesome!!

Finally, all pictures are online... All 335 pictures I took in Moab. Oh yeah. Check them out at my Flickr here. I have comments disabled so if you want more information or want to discuss any photos you'll have to post here.

Brian the rest of the pics of you and Austin are up and you should be able to download them at full size, too.

I have this video and another video from the trip to post, too... This one is a little of the scorp hunting at night and the other will be of us tooling around, hiking during the day.

[flash=640,385:g66wiqrr]http://www.youtube.com/v/zfm4MMKq5as&hl=en_US&fs=1&[/flash:g66wiqrr]

Last video for Moab... hiking around during the day:

[flash=640,385:23vfostm]http://www.youtube.com/v/WLhswDS8cvI&hl=en_US&fs=1&[/flash:23vfostm]