Thread: Ramah Quick Trip 8/6/08

Ramah Quick Trip 8/6/08

So a few of us headed out to Ramah State Wildlife Area yesterday to see what buggers we could find out there. Honestly, I wasn't planning on finding anything as cool as we did. I broke the original picture links so check out the club's official album for this event here.

Scenery:

Skeeters were in full effect (I got bit twice... on my face. :( ):

On the trek to get more water... sometimes I nearly felt like we were in "Field of Dreams":

And, our cool find... some large wolf spiders. The first pic was the first one we found and that one was a "small" one... you can use Brian's (?)thumb as a size reference:

We found some other animals, just no pics... carrion beetles (on some nasty regurgitated bird matter), some sort of snake, a velvet ant, etc... and lots of ants and other spiders... And, there were quite a few birds there. Ramah SWA is actually known as a great bird watching locale. None of us are "birders," though. haha.

Re: Ramah Quick Trip 8/6/08

Finally got all my pictures online. Here's my set for this trip on Flickr.

so I had to do my homework after talking to Mike today and just found this post. apparently I missed this trip because it happened after I dropped off the face of the earth.

at any rate, it's easier to get Geolycosa sp. to come out of their burrows with wheat grass, you just slide it in and move it around a little and the spider will latch right on (when I lived up at Carter Lake I used to hunt them all the time because they left very distinct trails in the dirt driveway)
    What can be done is not what should be done but you have the right to your opinion...note that you do not have the right to not be offended and are therefore subject to another's opinion that you can be put in a 5'x9' cell and do just fine.

That's how I've gotten a tarantula out of its burrow before... weeds... I actually only had to brush the top of the burrow w/ the weed to get it to come out, though. He he...

It wasn't too difficult to get the wolfies out of their burrows w/ water. Although getting to more water once we ran out was, uh, gross... skeeters, mud and muck, etc... So we'll have to try your way the next time.

hey ras, they actually turned out to be Hogna coloradensis.

too bad you had to miss that trip. but, we are planning another ramah trip soon if you're interested...