Thread: Porcellio scaber Orange

Porcellio scaber Orange

Porcellio scaber Orange... the Spanish orange isopods. Well, I started a colony from some of what Isaac gave me at the last reptile show. I put some in w/ a couple Ts but kept the rest. I didn't ever see the ones in the colony dying but I never saw little babies, really... maybe every once in a while.

Well, a week ago I started feeding them carrots in addition to their leaves and what not... omg... there are SO MANY babies now. They're everywhere!

So, if you keep pill bugs and aren't feeding them vegetables, maybe especially carrots, you totally should. I was keeping their food "natural" but this just works so much better.

Re: Porcellio scaber Orange

That was my orange isopods favorite food. If I ate a salad or something I would always throw in a ton of carrots and an hour later there'd be none left.

Cucumbers and foie gras and cavair is all mine eat......

Do these guys make decent feeders? my wife wont let me do roaches and i cant stand having a bunch a crickets in the house. how big do they get? do scorps like em? could a spiderling eat em? byw i think they are really neat looking!

They don't get very big. I haven't heard of them being used much as feeders. They have a tendency to hide and burrow. I've seen some small spiders eat them but not anything else.

Yeah, being semi-aquatic they usually are plowing through moist soil so they can breathe. When I used them my bugs pretty much ignored them when and if they were on the surface.

Mike you may know these guys by their "common name" of "pill bug." They're like the little grey things you'll find in CO but just orange... and a little softer, I think. Some people will actually catch and use the grey ones in their tropical tanks.

Oh, so they are a clean-up crew, not dinner, lol they sure do look cool tho, i dont like the grey ones here :twisted: