Thread: John Martin Res Camping Trip 7/15-7/16

John Martin Res Camping Trip 7/15-7/16

I had a lot of fun this trip.

John Martin Reservoir was a little more, as Eric would call it, "white-washed" camping than I was expecting. I wasn't expecting the electricity hook-ups, cisterns (or what ever those things are called), bathrooms... although, I have to say the bathrooms may very well have had more wildlife in them than the actual reservoir. lol. It is a nice spot, though. But don't let the luxury camping accommodations fool you... at least for Eric and I we still feel like we were roughing it... and that is prolly because of all the wandering around we did.

And while I'm at home nursing my sunburn and sore legs... the other guys are prolly re-housing all their new goodies. So, I thought I'd post my take on the trip, and whatever pics I have (a video to be posted prolly this weekend)... and then everyone else can post their pics and stories.

When we got there we set up as quick as we could... without even leaving the campsite Isaac found his first "catch"... a toad from the bathroom. And then when we headed out for our first hike we found a horny toad/thorny devil... what have you. So, that was pretty promising. Oh... and I'd also like to point out, now, that although we caught a variety of animals, a lot of them were released; so just because I say we "caught" something it doesn't necessarily mean it's still in any of our possessions. Anyway... we went hiking and found some prime spots for where we'd think scorpions would be. I don't think we found much else that time out.

On the way back we found a wolf spider burrow and tried flooding it out... but it didn't work. Now, I learned a very important lesson. You see, I've never flooded a burrow before, that was all new to me... but from other attempts at it during the evening, now I know that sometimes when you flood what appears to be a spider burrow what climbs out may very well be the biggest solitary hornet you've ever seen. That's an important thing to know. If you're not sure what's in the burrow, be prepared to run. lol.

Then the storms started to come in... but it wasn't raining on us... wasn't raining... so we decided to go hike again... then, it started raining. Luck! haha... on the way back out we found a nice juvie bull snake and a pygmy rattlesnake (video to come). We also realized that those bathroom toads are EVERYWHERE. When we tried hiking back up to where we wanted to scorp hunt we got so turned around. It's pitch black out, sprinkling, windy and lightening so much that sometimes you'd swear it was daylight again... so we decided to head back and try again later. On the way back we found a skunk. Fortunately we found it and it didn't find us. That was actually the first live, wild, skunk I've ever seen!

After it stopped storming and we headed back out (about 10:30 PM at this point) we had much better luck finding our spot. And, as predicted, there were some nice scorp finds there. I think the final count on the night was the "Andrews" 5 and Isaac 6... C vittatus. We stayed out until, I'd say 2'ish...

We got up early and decided to head out to Vogel since that was sort of on the way home, anyway. We didn't find any Scolopendra or scorps out there but we found a lot of cool herps... we saw a super fast and long pink snake... so cool looking... after researching I want to say it was a coachwhip... I didn't get very good pics so identifying may be impossible. I visited the burrow of my friend tarantula. We were able to get her out, again, not as easily as the first time. She was on to me, lol. Anyway, she's now going to be babied and live the "good life" with the Andrews.

.......... and that was about it. I can't remember much else.

.......... and now I'll post some pics.

Re: John Martin Res Camping Trip 7/15-7/16

So... I apparently didn't record as much of anything that I thought I did, lol... must've been too caught up in stuff to pay attention... here's a super quick video of some of the scenery, including turkey vultures, some lightening and that one prairie rattler.

http://www.youtube.com/v/odY8IcSdiMU&hl=en_US&fs=1&