Thread: Dubia frustration.

Dubia frustration.

I've got about 4 tarantulas who will eat a dubia... my two RCF G rosea, my TCF P murinus and my (well, Eric's) H lividum. I've fed them to my A geniculata, S rubronitens, my two H gigas... and I can't remember who else... pretty much all of my adults... and they just don't know what to do with them. The second the roaches feel threatened they stop moving and the ts don't realize they're food.

I kid you not... this is a true story... back when my H lividum was going to molt, or so I thought, I tried feeding her a B dubia. I tossed it into her burrow and I could see her touch it but it stopped moving so she ignored it. The next day I looked in her burrow and it was still there in the same spot... so I figured she killed it and left it as I've seen a couple rosies do that when they were annoyed with their food. Well, she started molting that day so I couldn't pull the roach out... after she molted, though... now two days after I first put the roach in... I scooped it out. I could not believe it when it got up and walked away. It sat in the same exact position for two whole days... I thought it was dead. Nope, just paralyzed with fear. Since her molt she's taken down two big roaches, though.

I'm about ready to have a handful of super fat spiders since they're the only ones who will eat these roaches.

Re: Dubia frustration.

You need to get some big fat scorpions to ween down that colony,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or you can just bring them to me...LOL

It is pretty cute how they are " paralyzed with fear." Those things can REALLY play dead. Never thought id feel bad feeding off something, but those darn doobies got me feelin' for um.

just curious, I have had some inverts that totally ignored female or sub-adult dubias but swiftly munched adult males. I thought it could be that the wings made more movement as well as impeded the roaches from submerging. was your feeder male or female?
    Rev boy I really need to get some new T's
    maybe going all OW this time

I've never fed off an adult dubia... I don't think at least. Definitely never a male dubia as those guys fight with me when I try to move them around... I dunno what they'd do to a tarantula... I'm a scaredy cat. But that is a good point... the wings and the movement prolly do draw more attention. The males def don't freeze up as much as the nymphs or females do.

Woo I scored tonight! I am not wanting to go buy small crickets for my slings... I'm feeling lazy. But I already have my dubias so I thought I'd give feeding them to my slings (well, the slings in need of a good meal) a whirl... all of them ate! Three B smithis, my blue fang and Ras' P irminia all gobbled up some small dubia nymphs.

And! In my first time feeding my Singapore Blue a dubia it climbed right up her styrofoam right to her and she snagged it. Woot!

Nice!

I fed dubia nymphs to my GBB,smithi,curly hair,and parahybana slings the night before last, I felt your excitement!

My colony has been pretty slow going, but its finally starting to pick up a little. I feed too much out of it :/