Thread: Dubia Humidity?

Dubia Humidity?

Whats up people?

I'm tired of crickets. They're just horrible for reasons we all know... :roll:

I'm switching over to a dubia colony very shortly after I figure out a couple more things pertaining to the health of the roaches.

Since we all live in Denver, and its very dry here, I figured you guys would be the people to ask as far as giving the roaches the hydration they properly need. Am I just over worrying it? I was thinking just misting might suffice? But should I really worry as long as they have plenty of water crystals? My main concern is them not solidifying properly into their new exo-skeleton after a molt. But, with ventilation at a minimum I'm hoping just misting should be ok?

Thanks.

Peace...

Re: Dubia Humidity?

Honestly I dont mist them at all,,,,,,I just use water crystals ...........they molt just fine..............I feel water leads to mold ..I feed dog food, oats, barley, ect all this stuff molds easy.....the crystals are just fine...........what are you feeding?...............I have a colony of Lobsters to get rid of...................

I've heard that lobsters are one of the few that are considered to be able to infest your home, so I'm leaning towards the dubia still...I appreciate the notion though.

Thanks for the reply as well, I will keep them hydrated with only water crystals.

I'm feeding a variety of critters....Lets see...

A. Versicolor juvenile - 1/2 - 2inch
    C. Crawshayi juve - 2 - 3 inches
    A. Seemani adult - 3.5 - 4 inches
    S. subspinipes adult - 7 inches
    S. Polymorpha adult - 5 inches
    C. Cranwelli (pac man frog) - 3 inches
    A. Avic adult - 3.5 inches
    H. Lividum adult - 4 inches
    G. Rosea adult - 4.5 inches
    P. Cavimanus juvenile - 2.5 inches
    And my Red Eared Slider Turtle LOVES some live protein...Crickets, earthworms, etc. So im willing to bet the roach would be a hit for his protein days...

Thanks for the response mang!

Take it easy out there, its very nice out, so I'm off to Isopod hunt.

Yeah,totally, like Isaac said... I don't like misting or keeping anything at a high humidity that I don't actually have to. It's so easy in captivity to get mold which can be even worse for the creature and not to mention us. I've kept B dubias dry, gave them water... and fresh fruit/veggies (for additional moisture) and they do fine.

Couldn't agree with you more about the humidity issues, everyone.

Glad that I asked.

I ordered my roaches and they are in the air as we speak. I got 100 B. Dubia mixed, from http://www.blaberus.com . James seemed like a really nice guy and all went well. Hopefully I will be tossing them in their new home tomorrow at this time.

Thanks for the

I've never ordered feeders from him but I have ordered a couple Ts... James is a good guy. Congrats on switching to B dubias. They're a great feeder.

Colony showed up looking good.

I've never watered mine. They seem to have done fine with just the moisture from their food. My colonies been going well for about 4 years.
    Rev boy I really need to get some new T's
    maybe going all OW this time