Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Why centipedes...

Thread: Why centipedes...

Why centipedes...

So, uh, millipedes are cool. I like them alright.

Centipedes.......... creep. me. out. So, well, I used to be bothered by scorpions but, lookey, now I have one and realize they're not so bad. So, maybe someone can sway me to get a centipede...

Why do you keep centipedes and, more importantly, why should I?

Re: Why centipedes...

Totally my matter of opinion here, but centipedes are the kings of the invert world. I keep them for their amazing feeding responses. Entertains me.

If they creep you out at first, as your scorpion did. In time, you learn to love them, like your scorpion.

If you plan on handling your centipede, I wouldn't get a Scolopendra Subspinipes, but that doesn't narrow down your choices either, especially if you don't plan on handling. ( but seriously, who wants to free handle a 10 inch, fanged , poisonous, fast moving, centipede? Not most.)

I hold my Scolopendra Polymorpha (tiger centipede) with caution, but is only possible for short periods of time as he starts accelerating everywhere looking for his burrows or some sort of safety. The speed and unpredictability of the little buggers makes them a little unnerving at first, and holding them for long periods of time isn't encouraged in my opinion. And the Scolopendra Subspinipes species are just too risky to attempt to hold. Some might argue..eh..Just not my cup of tea. Heres the tiger..

Theres lot's of great centipedes out there, not just the polymorpha or subspinipes... Scolopendra Morsitans is very pretty and doesn't grow to be very large. Solopendra heros casteniceps is gorgeous, list goes on.

The real giants, and badasses, are the Subspinipes though, heres a pic of mine the day I first got him. I don't have a camera, I use my girlfriends, who uses it religiously, and it never leaves her purse, needless to say I gotta steal it. Which is few and far between, so this pic is way old already . Hes probably 7 inches and this guy is mean. I havent had a giant in about two years since I got this guy, about 4 months ago..And I'll always have one around from here on out...

I also think that they are a very "easy" animal to raise if the correct housing conditions are met. Just make sure the little hellspawn can't get out, and you're fine. Some require more humidity than others, but all centipedes are burrowers naturally. Provide enough of the necessary substrate so that he can create a tunneling system.

To elaborate how easy it can actually be to "secure" a pede, here's my ~5 inch polymorpha's tank/jar. Compliments of my girlfriends' excessive eating of pickles, I have leftover 1 gallon pickles jars laying around that I use. The lids lock tightly, pop some airholes(inside going out)and boom..An escape proof container. You can buy these at wal-mart and they go up to 5 gallons I believe...I house my S. Subspinipes in a 10 gallon tank with a plexi glass lid, only because of his size.

If you enjoy good feeding responses you can't go wrong with a hungry pede.. It's quite entertaining to see a hungry pede hunt..

Anyway just a little BS I wanted to throw out there for you. I just joined this site and was looking around, figured I'd start posting! Hope I helped in some way.

Haha, what an awesome response!

I think no matter what I wouldn't want to hold a centipede... I had a chance w/ one of Kevin's... I think it was, like, a 7-8" S alternans...? Anyway, they just creep me out so much at this point that I didn't want to.

How are they personality wise? Do you see yours often or are they typical pet holes?

I do like the color variations some have. I've seen blue/green ones that are pretty nice looking... a little less creepy... and I like, uh, I think they're called "Cherry Legs?" Those weren't as creepy.

If I'm around them enough I think I'll get over myself eventually. haha...

Quote Originally Posted by Bell
    I think no matter what I wouldn't want to hold a centipede... I had a chance w/ one of Kevin's... I think it was, like, a 7-8" S alternans...? Anyway, they just creep me out so much at this point that I didn't want to.
    Totally acceptable a 7-8 inch Haitian Giant ( S. Alterans ) is definately intimidating as all heck, and I don't blame you one bit for not holding her!

How are they personality wise? Do you see yours often or are they typical pet holes?
    I only own two pedes at the moment..So my knowledge is very biased on my polymorpha and subspinipes.

I can honestly say that my Subspinipes is 100% more entertaining than the polymorpha, only because he comes out 1-2wice weekly for some hunting. Physically, the polymorpha is much more impressive. On the other hand, My polymorpha only comes out very rarely at wee hours of the night.

All centipedes have the potential to be "Pet holes" simply because they are nocturnal. If you want to see them night time is recommended, and if for whatever reason you have a heat light, make sure its infra-red to promote viewing and not piss off the pede. (infra red is invisible to them, like T's..and scorps...)

I do like the color variations some have. I've seen blue/green ones that are pretty nice looking... a little less creepy... and I like, uh, I think they're called "Cherry Legs?" Those weren't as creepy.

If I'm around them enough I think I'll get over myself eventually. haha...
    I believe the centipede you are referring to is a variation of the S. Subspinipes labeled " Cherry leg " or "Malayasian Giant Red Leg" and you are right, those are very pretty. I'm actually about to order one of those as a P-ling shortly , once money I transferred yesterday SLOWLY creeps into my paypal account.. I'm also getting a "Hong kong giant" and " indo Black Tip." More variations of the S. Subspinipes.

Peace

here I NM I find poly, veridis, and heros. I love their feeding response as well. watching one munch down a pinky is just too cool. but I'm not gonna handle them (this from a guy thats held gaboon vipers lol)
    Rev boy I really need to get some new T's
    maybe going all OW this time

Quote Originally Posted by reverendsterlin
    here I NM I find poly, veridis, and heros. I love their feeding response as well. watching one munch down a pinky is just too cool. but I'm not gonna handle them (this from a guy thats held gaboon vipers lol)
    Oh no... we need to get a pic of you with a nice 10" scolopendra. j/k...

only if it is a pic of it crawling from your hand to mine Bell
    Rev boy I really need to get some new T's
    maybe going all OW this time